How badly did you screw up? An argument where things got a little heated? Maybe some candy and flowers and a touch of groveling. A DUI arrest? Plan on a cruise later this year. I can recommend Princess Cruise lines, just saying. (P.S. big shout out to my Spokane DUI Attorney. He got my charges dropped! Just keepin it real)
So you waited till the last minute? Or did you completely forget until she reminded you?
If last minute means a day or two before, then don’t panic too much. I have a simple two step process.
- Go to whatever fancy store your wife likes and find someone, preferably female, to help you.
- Hand them your wallet and tell them you will be waiting in your car.
- (Bonus tip) Walk away shaking your head, knowing you will remain married for at least one more year.
If last minute to you means you completely forgot till the day of. Sorry, man. You’re screwed.
Just kidding. Here is an exhaustive list of last minute gift ideas.
- Buy a giftcard online. You can opt for email delivery. check our vendor list for places to get a giftcard
- Order flowers or chocolate with same day delivery. (very expensive)
- If you have a chance to do a little bit of shopping, then you can personalize the gift more than just a giftcard. Here’s what I would go with:
- Buy a gift item: Flowers, potted plant, expensive candle, Starbucks/expensive decorative mug.
- Buy a treat: Chocolate box, her favorite candy bar, etc.
- Buy a card: Doesn’t have to be fancy, just grab a nice one from the same store you got the treat.
- Buy a gift certificate (optional). This will depend on the occasion and what you’ve already gotten her.
- Put it all together. $5 is all it takes to take this from looking like a last-minute grab to a thoughtful present. Grab a giftbag and some tissue paper (this looks worthless but women like it). Take two pieces of tissue paper, unfolded and push them inside the bag so that they stick out. Gently place all items except fresh flowers inside the bag. Try to decoratively stuff more tissue paper inside on top. Don’t forget to write something in the card. If you only sign it, you are a dead man.
Is your new wife’s birthday coming up? First Valentine’s Day (a fake holiday I know… don’t tell my wife) coming up? First Anniversary?
Dude, you gotta get a gift for her. Don’t panic, it will be OK. I’m here for you. And so is Google…
Seriously, I’ll never be smarter than my smartphone so use it. It’s OK to start off with a little Google search. Every anniversary has a particular gift that goes along with it. First anniversary is a gift of paper- think love note not inkjet refills. Second is cotton, third is leather. I know, sounds stupid but someone came up with these a long time ago and so we’re stuck with them. Fortunately, there are also some modern options (first year=clocks, 2nd year=china). Just Google “anniversary gifts by year” and you can see the full list.
Google is also full of great ideas for any other special occasion. The power of the internet in your pocket. Use it.
Now, here’s some actual advice I can give you.
Don’t wait till the last minute, dummy. Help yourself out and start thinking about these things at least a couple weeks in advance, preferably a month or more depending on how important of an occasion is coming up. Put a reminder in your calendar for at least one month BEFORE any gift giving occasion so you have time to plan for it. Right now, go do it, then come back.
Trust me, you’ll be glad you did that.
Next step is to just start thinking about what she might want. She’ll probably start dropping hints in advance if you’re in tune to them. Don’t focus too much on what she NEEDS, but on what she WANTS. This is a gift for her to enjoy, not a tool for her to help others (you) with. Remember that, something to benefit her and only her.
Write down some ideas that you come up with now and start mulling them over. Get creative. Think outside the box. Keep writing your ideas down as they come to you. Something will rise to the top. Keep researching on the internet to refine your idea.
I know this sounds tough but it will get easier with practice. Eventually you’ll be a pro. Maybe you won’t even need to use Google!